As a divorce lawyer, one of the questions I frequently get is “How do I tell my spouse I want a divorce?” My answer is always “It depends.” I don’t know your spouse, I don’t know how he or she is likely to react. But I do know 5 ways to tell your spouse that generally do not go over well:
- Have your children tell your spouse the marriage is over.
- Let your new boyfriend/girlfriend tell your spouse the divorce is pending and you are moving in with him/her.
- End your relationship on Facebook. Blog about your desire for a divorce. Tweet about your new match.com profile.
- Make the announcement at a family reunion or company picnic.
- Say nothing, move out in the middle of the day, and have your spouse served with divorce papers that night.